Saturday, January 07, 2006

Generations

Tonight Sarah joined the guild. She was whining about wanting to play, and i was on with Brudie and Dimi and Felison and I thought oh hell, I'll let her play. So she commandeered the machine. She asked me to input their names on her friends list, which I thought odd, but agreed to do. She just wanted to see what they were doing because I talk about them.

She whispered to Brudie, Hi I'm Hallgrima's kid. Just wanted to say hi.

I explained that Brudie might be in the middle of something so he might not reply right away. Of course, he did reply pretty soon thereafter. He asked if she wanted to join the guild. I told her to go ahead. She was kinda shy and worried about leaving her other guild. Sarah is very chatty with her "friends" list. They all know her and greet her when she comes on. I explained that that would still be possible. I explained that the upside was that this guild would really help her move forward in the game. It was her decision. I told her I didn't care either way.

She decided she wanted to join, but didn't know how to leave her old guild. I said, ask Brudie. I did that because I wanted her to learn to ask for help and to see that the guys were very patient and knowledgeable. So she asked. He explained how. And presto -- Sarah was in the guild.

That was about three hours ago. Felison took her under his wing. He asked her to show her armor in the chat window area. She didn't know how and asked me. I said, ask Feli. She did. He explained. She learned a new trick. When next I stuck my head in the kitchen, Sarah said he had made a list of what she needed and was on a mining mission to make it. Then he put her in his party and took her along as he went on a few quests. She got XP and loot.

What struck me was that I can recall being in a dungeon, my first dungeon and my first outing with the guild, and Brudie and was doing the same thing for Feli and I. It was so striking to see the same actions and hear/read the same words. I realized it was the community doing what it does best: passing along knowledge to apprentices, in action, on tasks, co-constructing.

Even before the night was over the generation began to turn. Sarah was monitoring guild chatter and saw a new person on the guild chat saying, "I think I'm too low a level for you guys; you're all really high."

Sarah then typed: three things: 1) i'm a level 11, 2) i'm in the guild, and 3) hi and welcome.

How cool is that.

Hall.

p.s.
DING! lvl 32

No comments:

Post a Comment