Thursday, January 19, 2006

Twink Is A Good Player, And I Don't Want To Be Like Him

I disagree with Twink’s assement, but not his perspective [I can’t believe I’m getting grief from a guy who calls himself Twink]. Yet, I do think he makes an interesting point [for a cloth-monkey].

In all honesty, I’ve not really played with him all that many times and not much in a long time. The two major adventures I recall did not go well and I had not played a lot with him since. I never thought he was a bad player, but just not the player that fit well with me.

I actually have only down four instances [DM, BFD, Stockades and that Gnome one]. Regardless of level, I will stand aside for Twink’s social assessment as he has far more experience than I in such matters.

What interests me in his post is how the roles we play in the game effect our experience within the game. I’m assuming you have to be far more sociably aware when you’re wearing nothing more protective then the fall line from Fredrick’s of Hollywood.

As a warrior, the experience is very different. You can be down to about a quarter health with a mob and you sense it is going wrong you can still run away . . and live. If anyone approaches the cloth-monkey’s you insert yourself the best you can. You try your taunts and your yells and swing the best you can.

The part of the game I only began to learn in my 20s was how the other professions worked. Rage and Mana operate very differently. Warriors have no ability to help anyone with any spell. All they got is the ability to draw the wrath of monsters. As I read Twinks post that is what went through my mind . . . the absolute difference in perspective.

“I want to make Balamor a better player, and it's interesting to see how much fun I anticipate that goal being.”

Bah! I welcome your attempt. Your success however will most likely come form making yourself a better player.

JBR

1 comment:

  1. When I first learned to play cards I played my hand.

    Later, I learned that I have to play my opponent's hand.

    And finally, I learned that I have to play my hand tempered by my understanding of my opponent's hand.

    This is doubly true in WoW. I have to play my char. abilities, tempered by my party members' abilities (and liabilities), tempered by each MOB or enemy we encounter as a group.

    The complexity is, imho, the seductive pleasure of the play. It's not winning, it's winning together, leveraging each other's strengths and compensating for weaknesses, that gives us the sense of victory.

    Just now Feli, Bany, and I worked for an hour to finally defeat the Queen Panther in Stranglethorne Vale. Each time we tweaked our approach, and in the end, we persevered. Everyone was standing (Bany, thanks in part to a soulstone). It was sweeter than walking in there and clobbering that panther elite right off the bat.

    So, Eric and I are urging you to play WITH us not just along side us. I think.

    ReplyDelete