Friday, August 18, 2006

stuff 'n things

Julian Dibbell wrote me an email today inviting me to join his Horde guild group on another realm. His email reply came approximately 5 months after my last email to him and was clearly occasioned by his cleaning out his email. At any rate, it sent me traipsing over to TN to see what was up over there, and suddenly I found myself generating replies to two separate postings, one of which led me to another blog, which led me to another project. These last two items are sufficiently compelling to post here right before your eyes to encourage your perusal of them.

First, Kuurian Expedition blog, which I got to from the Synthetic Worlds Initiative at I.U. Wow, who knew. So check them out too. The Kuurian Expedition -- oh duh I just got Korean, DOH! -- is also playing WoW, though if they are doing Deadmines runs, they aren't too far along. They are also meeting inside Second Life.
Jonas Karlsson announces that the Kuurian Expedition, a Community Relations project of the Indiana University Synthetic Worlds Initiative, has now established a guild inside of Second Life. Journalists, researchers, authors and anyone else interested in being introduced to Synthetic Worlds are encouraged to join each Synthetic World's Kuurian Expedition for friendly, mature, professional, and fun exploration.


Somehow I got here too, from the SWI page. Democracy Island...VIcky, they are inviting the locals to plan the park in a virtual sketchpad. The cool thing here is the transport of the wiki notion to a visual collaboration.

I think we are finding SL's meaning and it isn't formal, intentional education. It might be a redefinition of collaboration software, per both the uses described in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment