Monday, February 16, 2009

Researcher's Notebook #1

Per my preliminary proposal, keeping my researcher's notebook posts here in my blog for committee review.

I think I like research. I think my insatiable curiosity is getting satiated, at least during the process. Each session is intense, and I have 6 groups meeting an hour a week for three weeks. Doc students depend so much on volunteers. I worked hard to design experimental interventions so that the participants would have fun at each experiment. Both types - the annotation (building) and wayfinding (treasure hunt) have elicited spontaneous comments that the experience was fun. The potential frustration level is high in the wayfinding exercise; I find myself working hard to stay within the script and not give too many additional clues, especially since I might do that for one group and not for the other, which would screw up the ability to replicate the experiment. On the other hand, very hard (impossible, in fact) not to intervene if the frustration level gets too high. Documenting whenever that has happened within chat summaries and interpretation.

1 comment:

  1. hey vicki, lolz. trying to make me read your rsch notes, eh?

    sounds like you'll have a lot to ponder in the write up.

    ReplyDelete