Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Behold My Redstone Knowledge

Yes, I have committed to Minecraft. We have had a 4-seater test server up and James and I have been mucking about. Andrea too. And Sarah. Not sure if Andrea's had time but Sarah has muddled about. She's been playing, as I have, in single player and with others on another server.

We are about ready to launch our 30 seater for the EdD in Learning Technologies. At first it will be for Techcamp and as a sandbox for some research. Soon we'll be rolling out the new Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds for Learning course. Yah, that's long. I'm calling it GSVW hereafter. I think we found a hosting service we like and the price is right.

So... besides the obvious low level engagement, I've been mucking about with redstone and logic gates. Oy. Logic. Not my forté, just ask my undergrad. philosophy prof. So I jumped on my singleplayer world, currently the one called Fucking Lava Die Die (yes I have died many a lava death in mines), and worked on some connections. Look, I think I get it.



I've also contacted Matt Wunder, er, Dr. Matt Wunder, one of our EDLT alums, to see if we can hook up an afterschool club thing with Minecraft. We'll host it, and if I can find the funds, we'll pay for the clients.

I think success has gone to Notch's head. The client, which used to around $15 is now more like $27 a pop. That will add up fast if we get even a dozen kids interested.

So stay tuned... more to come. And yes, yes, I'll be playing SWTOR, but right now I'm just waiting for the release.

No comments:

Post a Comment