Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic . . .


First day thoughts . . .

OMFG! The Boss is a total badass!

There were bad guys and then this chick showed up with a glowy yellowy thing and then everyone, but us was dead!

What happened to my hapless gnomish hero from all those years ago being killed by Murlocks?

 This bitch showed up driving the school bus . . . clearly a very short bus . . . and made ALL the stops!

Speaking of hapless . . . I'm running around and around and around. Still mashing buttons like a monkey trying to get a treat. Still trying to even find my feet. Anway, bad guys die, but I have to shoot and shoot and shoot. Boss shows up in a blaze of light saber glory and burns them down with what seems like no effort. Even her damned droid seems more capable than me.

So, first thoughts . . . I think the interface deserves more respect then I'm giving it. I'm continually finding neat little convenient things. The rest is WOW redux with a side of acid reflux. Running around doing this and that and not really feeling connected to it. Just trying to get the next fix from the next level.

I'm pondering a new role. These tanks are ranged tanks which is just a fancy word for hunter. Now, I've known and respected more than one virtual WOWish hunter, but that doesn't mean I want to swing that way. I mean, if they were born that way . . . its ok. But if it's a choice?

The other part I'm pondering is this "choose your own adventure" aspect. Whenever you talk to an NPC you get three choices of a response. For some reason I am compelled to always pick the boy scout one. The others don't even see like real choices. So, unless I'm just a goodie two-shoes (and who would want to be a baddie one-shoe?) . . . it just seems like one right answer and two bad ones every time.

And . . . here is the issue. Why do I have to be a good guy in these games? Boss said "We can't role DarksSide!" Why did I get that to my core? Here is the question I am leaving and do with it what you will . . . I don't think there is a difference between who we are in real life and who we are in a game. Choices have voices . . . and virtual doesn't change that. I know, reach for the Pollyanna crayon and color inside the Pygmalion lines.

Still . . .

OrneryBob, Trooper . . . Level 6.

And here we go again.

1 comment:

  1. btws you do NOT have to be a good guy. you can answer quite meanly. my smuggler is a bit snarky. i didn't exactly abandon the orphans on that island but i came damned close and i have a lot of "dark side" points. you can get darkish gear from light side vendors if you have enough dark points so go ahead an indulge your dark tendencies. lol. i think the lore is better, more fully developed, on the Republic side generally, and for the Jedi classes specifically. right now my Jedi trooper is half-way through a very interesting story arc/quest line about loyalty versus disloyalty. my Jedi knight is trying to solve the riddle of her master teacher's illness, which seems other worldy.

    ReplyDelete