Friday, November 25, 2005

Where's the party?

An amazing amount of money has been spent on education in the last generation. Billions and Billions as Carl Sagan might say. I don’t mean to be impolite, but has anyone noticed there isn’t exactly dearth of idiots? Money does not education children. Nor does technology. We can throw hardware and software at children till they bleed silicon, but it won’t make them any smarter then pouring money on them.

It is instead a question of engagement and interest. When children are interested they teach themselves amazingly complex systems. From the new card games they play to the World of Warcraft, these are extremely complex and dynamic environment that require a dedication to understanding the world, virtual or otherwise, around them.

I’ve been unusually shy in WOW. I’ve avoided any socialization and have almost no understanding of the communication systems. I don’t want to seem like an idiot so I school myself daily on the mechanics and economics of the world I live. I fight to ferret out meaning and sense and etc.

I know the day is coming quickly where I won’t be able to solo. That I’ll have to join a guild and a community, but like picking a college . . . these choices have voices. They are important and should not be made in ignorance. So, for now I watch and wait.

1 comment:

  1. It's fascinating that we two fully competent adults are so intimidated by the social space in the game. We just don't want to look like wonky fools. I imagine there are children sitting in classrooms who feel this way. Wow, how unpleasant the day must be for them. It's actually painful to think about that.

    I did join a passing party last night, in WoW. I did worry about doing well or doing the right thing, but they seemed much less concerned with it. It felt much more like a college frat house road trip, and I got picked up on the way out of town. Packed car, lots of beer and cigs, and a certain, que séra, séra feel to it. It made me feel both out of place and yet comfortable.

    Or rather, out of place about the social dynamics but not the game dynamics.

    Why do we worry so.

    ReplyDelete