Friday, March 10, 2006

Log as Mediational Tool: My ZPDometer

Okay. I thought I had written on this but I guess not.

I was having a ball clearing the quests in STV, anticipating outgrowing the place, when I realized that the quests in my log for Arathi Highlands had dropped from yellow and red to green.
OMG! The Quest Log was my growth meter. It not only showed me, in color-coded subtlety, the quality of my development/learning, but it also nudged me toward more challenging (ZPD) places. After all, green means I can do it alone. Yellow means I can do it alone if I'm really careful and maybe I can't do it alone. Red means...seek assistance young grasshopper or die trying.

And the game really pushes. If I do a white or grey colored quest, there is no payoff for me. No drops; no XP; nothing, zilch, zero, nada, nada3. Okay, WoW, okay, I'll move along. LOL.

The use of color for meaning-making in this game is fabulous for its omnipresence and consistency in meaning. And that is one of the toolsets I was thinking about when I spoke about the mediational divide between school learning and game learning.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment