Sunday, October 15, 2006

Who Pulled the Surger with the Core Hound?

I have now had my second MC run. Nothing like the first one. We must have wiped about 3 or 4 times. I think people were tired, cause when Bizz got testy and we focused up, we had no real problems. Now the more I play the MC, the funnier the MC Raiders tune is, and the less funny the Onyxia wipe tape is. It's also increasingly clear that there really is some task complexity to leadership in this sort of complex simultaneous large group foray. It has a very military feel to it, in that there are subgroup specializations, and those groups need some leadership as well. The take-downs of the mobs and bosses are really very tactical. I wonder if military folks make the best leaders, which is an odd thought because in the middle of the MC run last night Soveigny announced he'd gotten a call and was just promoted in his military unit, to something fairly high level. I am also aware of a military dude in one of my guilds, and who knows how many others. If the game weren't so addicting, it might make a nice training ground. Although...that horrible run yesterday took from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. I can't believe I managed to stay in it without getting restless.

Okay so the good news, bad news part is: Good news, I got two Felheart pieces, for only 40 DKP total. The bad news, I was the aggmag as we were trying to slide around the corner and not deal with a couple of mobs. Nearly wiped the group cause they whacked us from behind. I'm still not sure it was my fault, but Bizz said the first guy to die is the person who pulled 'em. I think a bunch of us went down at once cause the mob threw an AOE fireblast, but what the heck. I felt very bad cause Bizz had been yelling at people during the Baron wipes (drat that Baron / Shazz combo makes for a tough room.). He had been threatening to toss people out of hte raid if they exploded as living bomb in a group of people. So I pst'd him about leaving and he laughed and said, if I kicked out everyone who had made a mistake I'd only have 20 people left to play.

I don't know how people do it, I have a hard time just "seeing" what's going on. My toon view is often blocked by various toons. I'm also struck by the need to be so mobile. You have to get close enough to be within range to cast, yet far enough to avoid harm. These distances rarely, if ever, overlap, which means you have to pay attention to the action and run in when it's safe and bang out some spells, then turn tail and run when the mob cranks up the AOE. Suddenly all those doofy talent points that merely increase distance seem way more important than they did when I was leveling up. I figure after a couple more runs I'll be up for a respec.

Anyhow, here's some shots for you to enjoy. There's the obvious wipe at Baron/Shazz; you can see the priests starting to rez people. And I've added the visual mess that IS a 40 man raid fighting in a narrow area (of which there are many in MC). And, last but not least, I've added a shot of Saami up in Azshara completing a quest. Saami is gonna go for Dragonscale LW, and the trainer is up there.





No comments:

Post a Comment