Monday, December 19, 2005

I #$@%&*! Can't Swim and It Feels Like Flunking

I had to open my big mouth and suggest to my guild buds who were online at the time that we go back to a quest that James and I tried to do alone. It was The Third Mate, arg, very piratey, arg, and involved looking for a flagon of meade (obviously a drop or a chest) in a sunken ship off the coast of Menethil harbor. When James and I tried it, we thought we were kicking some ass, and then we got pounded. LOL.

So I suggested we all go back and try it. I was thinking it would go better with more hands.

Wellllllllll...

You experienced guys are so fast moving that it is hard for me to keep up. You dart like fish. I still find it difficult enough to locate folks on land sometimes, with just two dimensions of plane. But in the water, you have to add up and down, X, Y, and Z. Add to that the fact that I can't manage the swimming very well. I haven't mastered the mouse moves for up and down in water, i.e., the Z axis. I can shift my field of vision up or down, but not me.

So in the heat of battle, I can't get through the flippin' hole in the middle of the side of the ship. Damn, I looked like someone from the short bus, whacking my head on the side of the ship repeatedly. So Gib comes out and says, you should never run when you're in a party. Like I didn't know that. Like I was runnin'. Wow, that hurt. I wouldn't abandon buddies. I was just trying to get my avatar to the place I needed to be.

I felt like a chump, a loser with a big L on my forehead. =sigh= I haven't felt that way since freshman year in high school, in world geography. Hmm, maybe I have map/spatial issues. Actually there may be something here. I had trouble building with X, Y, and Z in Second Life, although I did master it finally.

So to all my guildies...someone needs to teach me to swim!

2 comments:

  1. boy, I feel ya. I had the same experience this weekend - Balamoor along side me, him keeping the stinkers away, and me repeatedly dying from lack of breath. The only solution I found was to remap my Autorun key (this due to the fact that I'm using my laptop, which doesn't have the large keyboard) and then just keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, did you know i have the endless breath spell, which I can cast on you. It gives you 10 mins underwater at a time.

    Yeah, I still have mouse issues. I'm playing on a Mac G4 laptop with an nVidia card and a usually-better-than-T1 connection. I sometimes do something I haven't figured out which results in the mouse getting snagged in the camera view, i.e., I lose the cursor.

    How do you reprogram a mouse?

    HallgrimaX

    ReplyDelete